Monday, September 2, 2013

First day of class

Today was a Monday and it was quite a fresh start for my pastry journey here in Japan. A couple of months back after I finished my level 2 pastry back home in Malaysia I had contemplated between coming here or Australia. I hope my choice was right. The class today was intense as it was a whole day class meaning I started at 10am and then ended only 9pm which is quite late in the evening for a class. In demonstration class, I felt a little weird and out of place when there were unfamiliar faces but luckily they all spoke English.

Then when classes began, chef was speaking in French and a translator was beside to translate his words and instructions. I felt a little hard listening to both at the same time or possibly a little tired due to the fact that I had to listen to chef in French first and figure out what he meant and then the translator translate. It felt like a double wham baam to my ears. I received my binder for the classes this term and it says that we would have at least 1 full week of chocolate making classes. It seems that this is the first time the students here are tempering and making chocolate products. Hmm I wonder why did they drag till the last level to make chocolates.



Then practical class came. It felt like a whole new world with all the pots and pans, tools and everythingggg was beyond me. I didn't know where was the tray located, the tools, the measuring stuff. The entire class saw me fumbling away searching or trying to figure out what am I doing. Gosh. But in the end, I did end up finishing in time and cleaning everything up till spick and span.
Here is my version. From left: Truffes au Grand-marnier; Mendiant Lait Et Noir; and Rochers Croustillants

After that first practical class was the 2nd demo where we were taught by chef on how to make chocolate moulds.  We had to also prepare the earl grey and framboise flavoured ganache to be coated or enrobed in tomorrow's practical class. 



Overall today's class was pretty intense as it was a full on 9 hours class but then again I felt energised all the way through. Till the next chocolate class!

No comments:

Post a Comment