Friday, September 6, 2013

Hari ketiga (meaning day 3 in Malay)

Today is the third day of the chocolate week and I have been dreading make chocolates already. But then again I told myself this is a different experience that I am getting. Hence I decided to just suck it up and learn. We continued on the chocolate journey with chocolate moulds or shells which are filled with ganaches that are vanilla flavoured, apple with rum and also spices plus freshly ground black pepper (yeah you read black pepper, that's right. At first I was shocked too as I have only heard of chilli  chocolate but then again if you have that. Interesting eh?). By the way I tasted the black pepper spiced chocolate which is the last picture in the 6 set picture below. Surprisingly there was no strong hit of pepper, rather it had a very delicate punch to it which accentuated the chocolate taste. I can't say it is somewhat like adding a bit of salt to your chocolate but I felt it was somewhat similar if you want me to describe the taste to you.

In the demonstration chef also showed some new techniques of decorating the chocolates like using the chocolate fork to draw a line on the chocolate, using a pressed on straw on the chocolate to create an indentation and some textured plastic film to create textures on the chocolate. From what I observed in the demo, it should be easy to emulate the drawing of a line with the chocolate fork. Hopefully so.



It's showtime! My turn to replicate what chef has taught us in the demo class in the kitchen. As I have expected, it was quite easy to draw the line on the enrobed or coated ganaches with a chocolate fork. Lucky me I guess. Although it was easy, I made like a small chocolate border around the pieces when I placed them on the tray to set and draw a line. Maybe I was too rough or the chocolate layer was too thick? Mmm maybe. Bring on the next chocolate class!

From left: Caramel Pomme, Ganache Vanille, Earl Grey & Framboise





















No comments:

Post a Comment